Carpet Care Tips- How to Clean and Care for your Carpet
So, you are wondering how to help make your carpet last a long time. Here are a few tips:
1) Shoes or No Shoes: It always amazes me to see the difference in a carpet’s condition in homes that we clean the carpet where shoes are left at the front door versus homes where shoes are welcome on the carpet. Shoes and dirt are rough on carpet. Carpets will get so much more life when shoes are left at the front door and will not need professional cleaning as frequently.
2) Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum: Did I suggest to vacuum? Yes! Dirt is like sandpaper to a carpet. Carpets should be vacuumed frequently to remove dirt and dust particles to help your carpet last longer but also to keep it looking at its’ best.
3) Spills: Always treat immediately. The longer the spill is there, the more difficult it is to remove. For liquid stains, gently blot the liquid up with a towel and gradually add water to the process until you get up as much of the liquid stain as you can get. For food spills, gently use a spoon or dull knife to remove as much as possible. Then gently blot and use vacuum suction to get up the rest. Gradually add water to the blotting process until the stain is removed or as good as you can get it. Be careful if using over the counter spotting agents for liquid stains and other stains! We have seen many cases where some of the color was removed from carpet with over the counter cleaning agents and the carpet almost looked bleached even though bleach was not used.
4) Snags: Over time you may find you have some snags in your carpet. It is generally best to get some scissors and snip them because if pulled, they usually keep on pulling carpet fibers out as the snag is pulled.
5) Carpet Cleaning: It generally is accepted that carpets should be cleaned every 12-18 months with hot water extraction which is also called steam cleaning. That is the method we use but we take it a step further by using the patented Rotovac 360i in the cleaning process instead of the old fashioned wand that most carpet cleaners still use. We are constantly told we get up spots that others were not able to get out utilizing the wand. The rotating head of the Rotovac 360i has several hundred cleaning passes per minute and that makes all the difference in the world. You can see our before and after pictures by clicking the link.
So, there are a few carpet care and carpet cleaning tips.
If you have questions or would like a quote, give us a call at (386)860-2202 or (407)920-8754. Have a great day!